Monday, October 8, 2012

The Lord is recruiting!!



Monday, October 08, 2012

Dear Family,

I probably don't even have to tell you what the highlight of my week was. It was soooooooooooooo awesome to be able to be here in the MTC for that announcement that Elders can serve at 18 after high school and sisters can serve at 19. We were all gathered in the auditorium, all together, and once President Monson started talking about how in other countries 18 year olds could serve, I knew something big was coming. After he made the announcement, We were literally cheering and clapping!!!!!!!! But then he mentioned the Sisters TOO!! Then we started cheering louder!!! The MTC won't be able to hold all of these missionaries!!! Within a couple months this place is going to be going crazy! The Lord is Recruiting more people to His army! He is carrying His message and His work to the ends of the earth and no earthly power can stop the work from progressing. It was so cool to be able to hear that announcement in the MTC! I have always wanted to hear an announcement/declaration like that and I will never forget that.

Something that I have learned to do well this week is to teach people, and not lessons. We go into the lesson with a lesson plan, but if they have concerns, problems, or anything, we address those needs. Sometimes we go in with a plan, but the Spirit takes us elsewhere. Along those lines, I heard an awesome quote from Elder Bednar. He said When you are wondering if it is the Spirit or me, Don't worry about it!!! If you are keeping your covenants, keeping the commandments, and being a good boy, then it really doesn't matter. So many impressions go unnoticed or we don't realize that they are impressions from the Spirit. Sometimes we don't find out until way later, and sometimes we never find out. We also challenged our fake native investigator, Ivelisse, to baptism. She is from Venezuela and speaks pretty fast, but I can understand her for the most part, until she goes off into some weird story. Then I pick up like 30 or 40%. Oh well That will come with time. We have had some awesome lessons with her and it has been a great experience

Alright, a couple of my favorite talks. I loved Elder Quentin L. Cook's talk. He said that some people give first class devotion to lesser causes. That was the biggest thing. What do I need to change so that my devotion goes to something actually worthwhile? Good one. Another. Russell M. Nelson. Ask the missionaries. They can help you! I loved this talk. The story he gave about the Preacher who was praying for guidance and received the impression, "Stop the boys on the bikes!" He looked  up and saw two missionaries riding down the street! He eventually stopped them and they were able to help one of his friends who was contemplating suicide. Both his friend, and he himself were baptized. I wrote down that we as missionaries can help ANYONE better their lives. Regardless of circumstance, race, gender, class, or anything. We bring something to the table that everyone else simply doesn't have. The true church of Jesus Christ on the Earth and the power of His Atonement. From Dieter F. Uchtdorf, We learned that sometimes being busy is not the best thing. Give people the precious gift of your time. Spend MEANINGFUL time with loved ones. Declaring the Gospel is good. Living it and declaring it by example is better. Sorry these are a bunch of random bullet points I have written down. One of his last sentences was that we shouldn't die without finding out how to truly live. That's gonna be a Mormon Message. Telling you right now.

Talk by Robert C. Gay. He talked about replacing our will with the Father's. I wrote down "What is worth more than the Father hath?" "What do I put over the will of the Father?" Interesting points. Food for thought. During Priesthood, Henry B. Eyering said that the Lord is able to see things in us that we cannot see ourselves. If we rely on the Lord and allow him to mold us, we will become so much more than we could on our own. He also said that the Lord will give His servants to speak as bold as Lions. I am going to need that every day of my mission! In the next session, Elder Eyering talked about Pavilions that may not be covering God's Hiding Place, but Pavilions that we put between ourselves and God. God never Hides from His faithful children. Don't insist on my timetable when the Lord has His own. That is putting my will over His. Our will will profit us nothing if it is not aligned with the Lord's. He said we remove the Pavilion when we pray "Thy will be done in thy time." I am making a goal to submit my time and effort to the Lord's Will.

Alright I didn't go through a lot of talks but you watched them and I don't have much time left. Anyways we had a cool fireside yesterday. Chad Lewis (BYU Tight End, Played for the Rams and Eagles, multiple Pro Bowls and Superbowl) came and spoke to us. He gave a pretty good talk. It was kind of all over the place, but I got some awesome points down in my study journal. Some like, Don't revert back to your old self once you get home, We will bring such a light and joy into people's lives, When you're tired, Dig Deep, When you can't speak, open your mouth and speak anyways, When you can't go another minute, go two more. He hiked Mt. Kilimanjaro with wounded soldiers and related the experience to his and our missions. It was really cool and he provided some great insights.

Mom, I don't think I need anything else. Thank you for all you have sent me and done for me. We get our travel plans this Thursday, and I was wondering how will I get the $200 I am supposed to take with me? Debit card or something? Just let me know. This place is fantastic, but I am so excited to get into the field in only 15 days. My Spanish comes along little by little, and I know it will make huge strides in the field. Hopefully I can semi kind of a little bit understand people. But even if I can't I will still do what Chad Lewis Said. If you can't speak, open your mouth anyways. There are going to be 4 and 5 year olds that speak better Spanish than me. Thats Great!!! I can learn from them! I am so excited! If this letter reaches anyone who is contemplating going on a mission, my advice is to GO!!!! If you're on the fence, take a leap of faith. It will be the best decision of your life and will pay eternal dividends!!!! I know this with all of my heart. I Love you all so much. Thank you for your support, prayers, and love!




Elder Mike Dial



P.S. They decided to be super dumb and take away card readers. This computer doesn't accept my cord, so I will try to find another soon enough. Blame the MTC people. Love you





No comments:

Post a Comment