Monday, April 21, 2014

New Companion - Loved Easter



Mikes new companion...Elder Winegardner
 

Helping out in the rain.  Didn't want to get his new shoes wet.
 
¡Feliz Día de Pascua! Hope everyone had an excellent Easter and that y'all remembered the reason why we celebrate it. It is for our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ! He really was resurrected. The Spirit witnessed to me very strongly yesterday that he did. I was listening to the talk of a bishop from another ward yesterday (I was asked to play the organ in an English ward. I always thought that where there are Mormon white people that piano players automatically come along with that, but apparently I was wrong). Anyway, the bishop was giving a talk about Christ's atonement. He quoted a lot of Elder Bruce R. McConkie's "Purifying Power of Gethsemane", which is one of my favorite talks, so I had already heard most of what was said. But as I paid close attention, it wasn't really what he said, but what I heard and felt inside of me. I felt the Spirit testify in a very real way that what he was saying was true. It was a very sacred experience for me. I haven't felt the marks in the Savior's hands, wrists and feet. I haven't thrust my hand into His side. I haven't personally seen Him, but the Holy Ghost has testified unto my heart that He lives. That He atoned, died, and was resurrected for me. This I know. I may not have a complete and sure witness like Elder Packer testified to a few weeks ago, but to anyone who may be feeling like they don't know enough, or want a sure witness, don't worry. We have all felt that before. I echo the words of Ether, who said "dispute not because you see not, for you receive no witness until after the trial of your faith." My testimony grew a lot yesterday, and I am super excited I was able to share that experience with all of you!

Yesterday we did a musical number. Elder Winegardner played and I sang the Michael Hicks arrangement of "I Believe In Christ." Tears were shed. It was a good time. 

Well I got a new companion today! Elder Zach Winegardner from Ridgecrest California. He is cool. He is Elder Fawcett's boy. We are ready to work. We are gonna baptize the crap out of Bethlehem. These Puerto Ricans need the Gospel, and we are gonna bring it to them. 

We saw Dereck Castro this week. He is Carlos Castro's son, who I found and baptized here in Allentown when I was first here. Due to some complications in their relationship, Carlos and Dereck's mom are not together, but Carlos still brings him to church every Sunday. That kid is such an example to me. He is inviting friends, family, and others to church. He is really sharing what he believes because he loves it. I want to be more like him. He is reading, praying, loving, and being an example. I love that kid. I hope and pray that he is able to serve a mission one day. He always says that it is his goal to serve. He would be such an effective missionary. I would love to see him do that. There wouldn't be a much fuller joy for me than to see Dereck fill a mission. He is preparing now. Did you hear that Marcus? He is preparing now. He is only two months older than you! 

Ok, we have been focusing a TON on the temple this week with our less actives and are seeing miracles coming from it. Yesterday we had a less active that hasn't been to church in years come to church! It was awesome to see her there. She has come a long way and is feeling the Spirit and joy that comes from activity in the church, but more importantly, activity in the Gospel. She owns a bakery, and has hired someone to work on Sundays for a few hours, if not the whole day, so that she can come to church at least every other week. She is showing by her works that she is willing to act!
 
We have been showing this video to our less actives. (https://www.lds.org/church/temples/temples-a-conversation-with-a-church-leader?lang=eng). It is Elder Walker explaining the temple and why it is important. Super powerful. We are making sure that our members have the temple as their goal. A less active, Ángel Roca, is coming back after years of activity. This video had a profound effect on him. He is making changes to be able to be active. He wants to receive the Melchizedek Priesthood, and is reading and praying. He will be able to come to church starting next month. His goal is the temple. Real intent is what he has. We are excited about this. Less actives are returning. We are seeing the fruits of our labors, which sometimes we don't get to see as missionaries, so we are nothing less than stoked!! 

Our Easter Day was filled with the Spirit. Didn't get a huge dinner or anything, but that doesn't matter that much. We were filled spiritually. We also had some delicious chicken that your truly made. This work is true. Christ is at the head. He is laboring alongside us, and we feel His presence. Love you all. Have a great week!

Elder Dial

No comments:

Post a Comment