Monday, December 23, 2013

Brilla para Mí De Nuevo Estrella de Belén‏ (Shine for Me Again Star of Bethlehem)



Well, It's Christmas, so I decided to be festive and write in RED or Green possibly. I will probably switch off throughout the letter because I am so creative. It has been a super good week here in Bridgeton. We finally have one investigator who is progressing!!! Her name is Carla. She is de Honduras. At first, we were told that she was a daughter of a member of the branch. But then we realized that she really isn't, but they claim her as a daughter so that she won't get deported. She has been once but came back. I don't really want to make that journey... That's ok I guess. We will teach her. She is 15 years old but is really interested. She reads, prays, and has come to church for the past few weeks! The Spirit is super strong in all of our lessons, so we are hoping for the best! We have seen miracles in identifying the Spirit. That is SOOO key with teaching people the Gospel. Enrique, our other investigator, is progressing in ever way, except that he can't come to church right now. At his work, his boss took a couple weeks off and so Enrique has to work literally every day except Christmas through New Years. He has told us that he wants to come to church though. He is so close. Incredibly close. So close I can't even describe it. Can I explain it further?

We had a Christmas Zone Conference where we watched "Ephraim's Rescue." Super cool movie. Some quotes from it I liked a lot. One lady in the movie says that he is a holy man. He replies saying that he has so many faults he can't even count them. She then asks, "How do you manage to do so much good?" He says, "I try." We can do SOOO much if we will just put forth the effort to do it. Sometimes we think that we must serve in an "executive position," like bishop, Stake President, Zone leader, Assistant, or something like that to make an impact. But that is simply not true. Where we serve doesn't matter as much as How we serve. Another quote. He said that the Lord chooses us specifically for individual missions that we need to accomplish on Earth. He said, "It is our duty to be willing and worthy." That's all. We need to be worthy to act in the name of the Lord and willing to do all that He requires of us. Good stuff. There was also a talent show at the ZC and I performed Homeward Bound. Luckily the music that y'all sent me with was super easy to play because I was only able to run through about half of it before I performed it. The Lord made up the difference ;)

We had a big Christmas party in our chapel on Saturday. Tons of non-members came. It was awesome, until they let loose their kids and didn't really care what they were doing. We and another member were literally spending most of the time downstairs in the church herding the children making sure they didn't break anything. Nobody else was doing it, and then we got chastised for not talking to enough people during the activity by members who were just sitting around doing nothing. Kind of obnoxious, but deal with it I guess. We even still taught several lessons and got some new people to visit anyway. That's ok.

In Sacrament meeting yesterday, we had a Christmas program. I sang, "Star of Bethlehem." I told the branch that it was in English, and that they would just have to bear with me because I had sang this song every Christmas that I could remember. I played and sang and the same time. It was super good. Loved it. I love Christmas. The hearts of people are soft at this time of year. Except for the people that get mad at us when we say "Merry Christmas" to them. That's when we switch to "Happy Christmas." Good times.

Christ is our Savior. He loves us. He was born in Bethlehem and the angel appeared to the Shepherds announcing His birth. I know this. I am so grateful for it. Reach out to someone this Christmas. That's one of the most important gifts you can give to Him. He doesn't really care about the material stuff. It isn't about the presents. It's about His presence. Love you. Can't wait to see ya in about 48 hours.

-Elder Dial

 EDITORS NOTE:  WE ARE SOOO EXCITED TO SEE AND TALK WITH ELDER MIKE ON WEDNESDAY!!!!  TOTALLY THE HIGHLIGHT OF OUR CHRISTMAS!!!


1. Our little Christmas room

2. Our Christmas dinner we had Saturday. I counted 115 people



No comments:

Post a Comment